If you are trying to cut back on junk food, then you know how hard it is to fight a craving when you have one. Instead of giving in, try some other options first. Here are some great things to try when you are fighting cravings.
What to Drink in Place of Soda
A lot of people have a hard time kicking the soda habit. Most people do not want to drink tasteless liquid. If you are craving this, consider one of these replacements:
- Herbal tea- herbal teas have health benefits for you, and are usually mild enough that you can go without a sweetener. If you must sweeten it, use a bit of honey, which also has added health benefits.
- Seltzer water- if you can’t go without the fizz, consider drinking seltzer water. As you are weaning yourself off of soda, pour half a glass of soda and fill the rest with seltzer water. This will help you to make the transition.
- Fruit or cucumber water- for those that just need a bit of taste, consider putting fruit, cucumbers, or a combination of ingredients in your water. Strawberries, lemons, and berries are great choices. This will give you the flavor you need along with nutrients.
Whatever you chose to drink, make sure you limit the calories. Do what you can to reduce the amount of sweeteners you use over the course of time.
What to Eat When You are Craving Sweets
Sweets are many people’s biggest weakness when it comes to eating healthy. When you are craving a sweet treat, try some of these alternatives:
- Fruit smoothie- add healthy ingredients to your blender and create a tasty fruit smoothy. Use unsweetened Greek yogurt for the health benefits. Berries and bananas are usually sweet enough to cover up the bitter flavor of the unsweetened yogurt. You can add a bit of honey to the mix if it is not sweet enough.
- Fresh fruit- fruit has natural sugars that can satisfy a sweet tooth. Berries, bananas, and oranges are great for a sugar craving.
- Dark chocolate- it is ok to eat a small amount of chocolate on occasion. If you do eat chocolate, choose the darkest chocolate you can find. Dark chocolates do not have as high a sugar content.
Try to satisfy your cravings with natural sugars. Consider making desserts from scratch so that you can control the amount of sugar used and other ingredients.
What to Eat When You Are Craving Chips or Crackers
Sometimes you just need something crunchy and salty to satisfy your hunger. Before you reach for the chips or crackers, consider these alternatives.
- Pickles- pickles are crunchy and salty. Eating a few pickles might be exactly what you need to get through a craving for chips.
- Crunchy vegetables- if the crunch is all you need, consider eating cucumbers, raw zucchini, carrots, or celery to curb the craving. Cucumber and zucchini medallions are perfect in place of crackers when paired with cheese.
- Roasted chickpeas- when you bake chickpeas, it turns the chickpea into a crunchy treat. Cover a baking pan with chickpeas and spray with olive oil. Coat with salt or seasoning of your choice. Bake in the oven at 300 degrees for about an hour.
These are a few things you can do when you are having a craving for unhealthy foods. One thing to keep in mind, is that when you quit eating junk food, you will eventually stop craving as much. Stick with it, and your cravings will begin to go away on their own.