All relationships go through periods of time where it is unhealthy, but relationships that are overall healthy will not stay there. How do you know the difference between a healthy relationship and an unhealthy one at the core? Here are a few things you should know.
Healthy Relationships at the Core
Those that are in healthy relationship has some core habits that are in common.
● General respect for one another- sure, there will be times that a couple might not be nice to each other, but in general, they respect the other person. Fighting happens, but reconciliation happens.
● Boundary lines in place- healthy couples have boundaries in place, whatever those boundaries are. Basically, boundaries are rules for the way the relationship works.
● Ability to forgive each other- you have to be willing to forgive one another. There are going to be things that both of you and say and do that needs forgiveness.
● Want to compromise- healthy couples work towards compromise with each other. It can’t be one person’s way all the time. Both of you have to decide to compromise with each other.
These are some of the things that are indicative of those that are in a healthy relationship.
Unhealthy Relationships at the Core
On the flipside, there are many things that couples that are unhealthy do. I do want to be clear that a couple that is generally healthy, can end up in some unhealthy times in their life. Those that are healthy at the core, will move past those times and get back on track. Those that are not healthy at the core, will just spiral further down.
Some of those characteristic include:
● Inability to communicate- when you do not have good communication skills it makes for a lot of problems in the relationship.
● Abusive language used often- those that are unhealthy will lash out at each other with abusive language on a regular basis. This is a lot more than a disagreement, rather a way of living.
● Constant arguing that goes nowhere- every couple argues at least some. However, if you are constantly fighting and it never gets resolved, then you are not in a good relationship.
● Punishing one another- you are not the other person’s parent. It is not either person’s role to punish the other person. When you or your partner resort to punishing the other, you are not in a good relationship.
These are just a few of the characteristics of unhealthy relationships at the core.
It is really important that you go with your gut to a degree. If you are with someone that you think isn’t a good fit, then you should end things before marriage. If you are in an unhealthy marriage, then you need to do everything you can to turn the tables on it. Don’t stay that way for long.