During your lifetime people will come and go. This is an inevitable fact of life. The reasons for people and relationships leaving your life are wide and varied, occasionally in your control and often not within your control. Among these relationships, most of us have people in our lives whom we have outgrown, or who, for whatever reason, are no longer bringing light to our worlds. Often, we just allow these pointless relationships to trudge on. We deal with them. We think that, since this person has been around for so long, we have to just live with the connection, even though it may not be healthy or helpful for us. Or, you may feel that because you’ve known the person so long, or been through something significant together, that you owe them a place in your life.
However, none of this is true. Letting go of these relationships can be hard, heartbreakingly hard, but you know in your gut when you have someone like this that no longer has a place, and the best thing you can do is make space for someone new. Here are 6 reasons that you should bite the bullet and let go of people who no longer play a major or positive role in your life.
1. You’re getting nothing from the relationship. If it were benefiting you, at all, you wouldn’t want to let it go. Face the fact that this relationship is bringing nothing to the table, and know that we have friends/relationships because they enrich our lives! If this person isn’t enriching your life in some way, it’s time for them to go.
2. In addition to not bringing anything to the table, they’re taking what you’re bringing. We call these energy vampires. These people take, take, take, and give nothing in return. You know an energy vampire when you’re consistently emotionally or mentally exhausted after spending time with them. You bring energy and positivity to the relationship, they bring misery, problems, drama, etc. They drain you of your energy and leave you empty.
3. They’re a frenemy. These insecure, often passive-aggressive, people are a friend to your face and an enemy behind your back. You deserve better.
4. They take you for granted. This is the person who always flakes out on plans, or worse – stands you up. They obviously don’t respect you or take your friendship seriously. Stop wasting your time
5. They’re abusive. Mentally, emotionally, physically – any type of abuse has no place within a relationship. If this is something you’re experiencing, it’s absolutely time to let go. If you are in an abusive relationship and having trouble getting out, please contact one of many organizations that can help you.
6. You will clear space for someone better. Ending a bad relationship with a friend, loved one, etc. can be hard and it can feel scary. Trust your gut that this is the right move, and rest assured that when one door closes, another opens.